The Innovative Research Universities (IRU) congratulate the twelve IRU students awarded New Colombo Plan Scholarships for 2017.
IRU scholarship winners will be supported to study and experience an internship in:
- China: Elizabeth Dowrie, Griffith University and Georgia Toft, Griffith University;
- Fiji: Katie Hicks, Charles Darwin University;
- Hong Kong: Molly Jackson, Griffith University, Kimberley Johnson, Griffith University, Anna McKenzie, Charles Darwin University and Shaun Milligan, Griffith University;
- India: Sidney Mason, La Trobe University;
- Indonesia: Karis Erceg, Murdoch University and Hannah Sutton, Murdoch University; and
- Singapore: Leah Brokmann, Griffith University and Rebecca Thorburn, La Trobe University.
The scholarships were presented to recipients by His Excellency General the Hon Sir Peter Cosgrove the Governor General at a ceremony last night [28 November 2016] following their announcement by the Hon Julie Bishop, Minister for Foreign Affairs.
The scholarships build off IRU members’ foundational commitment to engagement with Asia, exemplified by the creation of Australia’s first Asian Studies degree at Griffith University in the 1970s and our partnership with the Malaysia Research University Network.
IRU members enjoy long-established links with Asian counterparts. As opportunities for Australian interaction with Asia grow across all disciplines and areas of activity, IRU members lead the way in collaborative teaching, language, research and policy initiatives. To learn more see http://www.iru.edu.au/asia/